Premium

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Bachelorette Screen Goddess Bimbo Akintola Bares It All On Her Career And Personal Life

From soap operas to screen movies, Bimbo Akintola never ceased to dazzle lovers of Nigeria’s acts around the world. Her gorgeous personality, simple fascinating dress sense and fluency are attributes that make her unique. Bimbo Akintola is indispensable in Nollywood and despite her busy schedule, she squeezed out time to talk about the journey so far as an actress and her personal life in this short interview.
What’s your style like?
For me, I don’t really have a particular style.  I wear whatever makes me happy. I love dressing nice and tightly. It’s what makes me happy at the point in time. If it’s tight, fantastic. Because I want it so hot, I tend to do tee shirt or jacket and stuffs like that.
Would you say you dress to impress?


No, I don’t dress to impress.  Anyway, I just love to dress to my taste and to make me happy. You know, you dress in a certain way, you are happy the way you look, you dress in a way that boosts your confidence, you are good to face anything.  That’s all.

You look younger than your age, what’s the secret?
That’s because my age is really not that far from the 20s, I feel like a 16-year old all day.

How has life been generally?
Well, I’m managing life, I’m working, I’m doing jobs that bring happiness to me everyday. So I’m having a great time.

Share your challenges to stardom.
One of the greatest things you face as an actor is the fact that you are recognizable to a lot of people and you have to answer people at all points in time regardless of your mood. So, you just have to put on a happy face at all time. And that can be difficult sometimes but we are managing it.

 How do you cope with men who want beyond friendship?
I simply tell them to go away and live their lives, I’m not the type of lady that you can call on the phone to come and meet you somewhere and I will come and meet you or send a message on the Facebook or other social media platforms. It’s nonsense, I don’t do it. I explain to people that it’s not done, it’s ridiculous and it’s not allowed. I don’t do it.

What inspired you into acting?
In my secondary school, I realized what I wanted to do in my life and since then, I’ve been doing it. Honestly, I’ve had a nice career when it comes to acting. The first thing I did was for Lola Fani-Kayode. That was the beginning of my life as an actor, my first experience in front of the camera. From that job, Niyi Wuraola called me to meet Tade Ogidan and I did Owo Blow. From Owo Blow, they called me to do Out of Bounds; from then, I’ve always been called to do this and that. Career wise, it’s been nice.

Was acting your childhood dream?
I studied Theatre Art at University of Ibadan. Like I have said, I realized acting was what I wanted to do in my life from secondary school and here I am.

How often do you change your wardrobe?
One thing you can be certain about is that, I love black. I wear a lot of black, apart from that, everything else is about how happy I am with whatever style I’m wearing. I can see a shirt and once I love it; that is it.

What are your favourite fashion items?
I am not really a designer freak, I go for anything I like, be it designers or not.


Where is your favourite city within Nigeria aside Lagos?
Apart from Lagos, it would have to be Jos, Jos town is beautiful. Yes, Jos because the city is picturesque. I love the mountains and the hills.


Who’s your movie icon?
Oh, I love Joke Silva. She’s my all in all. She’s a mother, an amazing mother, an amazing wife, an amazing actor. That’s why she’s my icon.

What’s the item you can’t do a day without?
That would be my lay balm. I always have lay balm on me.

What’s your favourite food?
You’ll catch me eating pasta every day, though I’m from Ibadan and I’m supposed to love amala and gbegiri (general laughter).


Shed more light on the movie, ‘Ebola 93’?
The movie is about sacrifice. There are people out there who would sacrifice everything for you whether they know you or not. And such a person was Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh. She sacrificed her life for Nigeria and all others who died for us. Some lost their lives and some are still there today. Watching the movie, you will learn about courage in the face of war, you will learn about sacrifice and you will also learn about humanity.

What part are you playing?
In the new movie titled ‘EBOLA 93 days’, and I’m playing Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh. People say I look so much like her. I got into costumes in the hospital, they did my face, did the hair and I walked downstairs to use the bathroom. The nurses were in shock, they said I looked so much like her. I wanted to cry.


You’ve not been featuring in movies lately, what have you been up to?
Yes, that is correct. If it’s fame, I have achieved that.  What I want with that is to be able to affect lives. I don’t just appear in films now, I want to do films that will make a change. If you watched my last few films, they’ve all been about things that have been important to me. I do a lot of films about women and their positions in Nigeria, the girl child and I think it’s important that you believe in something and you fight for something.

What’s your take on women’s liberation?
I believe in freedom for women, and we are getting there.  We are not there yet, let’s be truthful, but we will get there because a lot of people are having the understanding more and more that women are not trying to take the position of men; that is not necessary but we are also trying to contribute to the development of Nigeria. And we have so much to give.

Are you thinking of marriage soon?
People always ask of marriage, and I want to say it’s none of your business.

So, are you presently in love?
Yes, I’m in love, I’m in love with life. I’m in love with Nigeria and I’m in love with people of Nigeria.

What is your advice for younger ones who look up to you?
They should go to school. You cannot be another person but you can be the best you. That is possible. So, my first advice is, if you believe that you have a talent, go to school and study, go to school with your raw talent and be refined.

Is Nollywood moving ahead?
Yes, very well. Look, don’t compare us with anybody anywhere, let us stand as who we are and what we are and take our own steps, make our own mistakes and become what we will. And don’t forget we are a reflection of Nigeria.


No comments: